This post contains affiliate links.
As a responsible, present parent, it's only normal for your kids to want to be like you. While they can't reach your height, or weight (yet), they can feel a lot like mommy or daddy by driving similar cars and trucks. Ride-on trucks are arguably among the best toys in terms of child development, so what are the best Power Wheels trucks you can get your child to make them feel special?
The best Power Wheels ride-on trucks for kids should be large enough to allow your little champ to tag a friend or their favorite toys along. The best ride-on trucks should also have the capacity to drive through rough terrain, wet grass, and even mud without compromising your little one's safety.
If you're still reading, chances are you're looking for the right toy to surprise your child with. Don't worry; you are in the right place. Keep reading for an in-depth review of some of the best ride-on trucks for kids.
Factors to Consider When Buying Ride On Trucks
When looking to surprise your little one with a ride-on truck for their birthday, or just for being a good child, it's important to consider the following factors.
It's important to consider your child's age when buying Power Wheels trucks. This is because some ride-on trucks are meant for boys and girls under 3 years, while others are designed for kids between 3-7 years. You can even find ride-on trucks for older kids above 7 years.
The trick when buying these trucks is to check on the weight limit. This should guide you on whether it suits your child's age. However, it is advisable to buy a ride-on truck that has a larger weight limit than your kid's current weight. This should allow your child to use the truck even after he's put on some weight when growing.
Ride-on trucks come in different power ratings. You'll find most as either 6V and 12V. A 6V ride-on car is mostly meant for indoor use as it doesn't have enough power to cruise past rough terrain and mud. 6V trucks work well for kids under 3 years as they don't need too much speed and power.
On the other hand, 12V trucks are perfect for older kids above 3 or 4 years as they love being adventurous and driving around like their parents. A 12V Power Wheels truck can comfortably ride past mud, wet grass, gravel, and other rough terrains. Therefore, be sure to consider power ratings before purchasing a ride-on truck for your little one.
Size and Space
Size is also an important consideration to make when dealing with ride-on trucks, as the last thing you want is to spend your hard-earned cash on a toy that doesn't fit your kid. While the recommended age can help you determine whether the size is ideal for your kid, it's crucial to consider your child's actual measurements to be on the safe side.
Kids love playing pretend, which means they might want to pack their toys inside the truck. Due to this, purchasing a spacious truck might help make your little one a lot happier. Besides carrying toys, children also love to play with their siblings or friends, so a 2-seater ride-on truck can come in handy if you have more than one child.
Nowadays, ride-on cars have features like those of actual cars. They come with real onboard entertainment systems like FM radios, MP3 players, and ports to connect USBs and SD cards.
These features allow you to play your child's favorite music or stories, which add to the toys' entertainment value. You can even play educational stories or songs that will help your child learn a thing or two during play.
Tire quality plays an integral role in determining the usability of a ride-on truck, and since trucks are designed for hardcore outdoor adventures, it is crucial to buy your child a truck with high-quality wheels.
Check whether the tires are made of rubber or plastic and whether they have enough treads for increased grip and traction during play. High-quality tires will ensure your little one makes the most out of their ride-on truck by cruising past rough terrain.
Power Wheels Ford F-150 Purple Camo
12V Power Wheels trucks don't get any better than this. This Ford-inspired Power Wheel comes with a Monster Traction system that allows it to navigate smoothly past hard surfaces, rough terrain, and wet grass. With a real FM radio, your little one will get to feel like an actual driver and enjoy their time outdoors.
The Ford F-150 ride-on truck can comfortably fit two riders and has a spacious truck bed with a lift-and-lower tailgate (that works). This bad boy can manage 2.5 mph (4 kph) and 5 mph (8 kph) forward speeds and can also reverse at a speed of 2.5 mph (4 kph).
- Spacious enough to accommodate two riders
- Comes with a real FM radio
- Has a high-speed lockout (parent-controlled)
- Features Power-Lock brakes for enhanced safety
- Capable of driving past wet grass, rough terrain, and hard surfaces
- Fairly costly compared to other products
Power Wheels Disney Princess Jeep Wrangler
This Disney princess-themed Jeep Wrangler is a great pick for your little girl. The outstanding graphics are guaranteed to leave your little one excited to take the truck outside and embark on her adventures. While the truck can fit kids aged 8-9 years, the recommended age is 3-7 years due to its 130 lbs (59 kgs) weight limit.
Although the truck doesn't come with a real radio, the pretend radio will work just fine as it produces exciting driving sounds to complement the real Disney princess character phrases. Additionally, the spacious rear section can act like your little one's storage section, safely storing her dolls and take-along gear.
- Has real doors that can open and close easily
- Comes with a 12-V battery and its charger
- Designed to maneuver past rough terrain and wet grass
- Believable Disney-themed colors and graphics
- Pretend radio produces near-real driving sounds
- The legroom might be small for tall children
- Storage space is not the largest around
Best Choice Kids 6V Ride-On Truck
Manufactured by Best Choice, this ride on truck stands out due to its realistic single-child design and remote-control functionality. It features realistic LED headlights, while the built-in horn ensures your little one feels like an adult cruising down the street.
As both a manual and remote-control ride-on car, you'll have full control over where your child rides. The remote comes with reverse/forward controls, speed selection, and even a parking function. Moreover, the presence of a built-in AUX outlet means you can plug in a media device with your little one's favorite music.
- Realistic design with LED headlights and a foot pedal accelerator
- Has both manual and remote-control functionality for enhanced safety
- Allows for the connection of external media due to its built-in AUX outlet
- Can manage three speeds
- Can only fit one child
- Not ideal for rough terrain and muddy surfaces
- 2 mph (3.2 kph) maximum speed is fairly slow for larger kids
Ottaro Children Electric 12V Ride-On truck
Featuring an AUX input, USB port, MP3 player, and a TF card slot, this highly capable truck is among the best gifts to get your little adventurer. Your little one can drive while listening to jolly children's songs courtesy of the wide variety of media channels.
This truck can operate in two modes: parental control mode and battery mode. Use the remote control to regulate the truck's speed before your kid knows how to operate it fully. The battery mode allows your child to accelerate by stepping on the foot pedal.
To prove its credentials as a mini truck for kids, the car wheels (both front and rear) feature a high-quality spring system, which allows for smooth driving on rough terrain. Moreover, the soft-start technology ensures your child doesn't get shocked or frightened by sudden braking or acceleration.
- Comes with a remote controller for additional safety
- Real seat belts for enhanced safety
- Double lockable doors for maximum safety during play
- Features an MP3 player, USB port, TF card slot, and an AUX input for all-round entertainment
- Wear-resistant wheels made from superior, durable PP materials
- Storage battery likely to spoil if not correctly charged
- Media functions rapidly consume power
Chevrolet Silverado 12V Kids Ride On Truck
This realistic Chevy ride-on truck is great for anyone who wants a parental control option via a remote. Any truck-loving kid will enjoy this mini version of a Chevy. It comes with spring suspension, LED Lights, music options, and a lot of rider space. There are also four color options; black, navy, pink, and red.
- Parental Controls
- 3 speed options
- Seat bealt and double lockable door.
- Only space for one rider.
- Charge time 5-8hrs
Moderno 12 Volt Explorer Truck
This beast of a ride-on truck is perfect for the casual adventurer. It comes with 2 powerful motors and can manage a maximum speed of 5 mph (8 kph). You'll also love that it has two operating modes: a parental mode and a battery mode.
Besides having openable doors, this powerful truck also features working LED lights and headlights. The real tail lights and an openable hood only add to the value of this capable ride-on truck.
In terms of entertainment, your child will enjoy the integrated MP3 player with FM radio and Bluetooth functionality. You can easily connect music with your Android phone or iPhone and other external devices like iPads and iPods.
- Comes with a long-range, full-function parental remote control
- Working LED headlights and light bars add to the realism of the car
- Openable doors and hood increase accessibility and functionality of the ride-on truck
- The 12V battery comes with overload protection
- Spacious enough to accommodate two riders comfortably
- Costlier than other ride-on trucks
- The extra features consume the battery, hence the need for regular charging
Best Choice 12V Ride-On Car Truck With 3 Speeds
Besides its attractive truck-like appearance, this 12V ride-on truck is highly powerful as it can comfortably cruise past rough terrain, mud, and wet grass. You can set the truck to operate in three-speed options, with 3.7 mph (6 kph) being its fastest speed.
Since the 12v truck by Best Choice operates in both remote control and manual modes, you can easily regulate where and how your little one rides. The remote allows for speed selection and has forward and reverse controls, which give you control over your child's riding session.
The body is made from durable ABS plastic, while the tires are designed to provide extra traction. Your child will also love the suspension system that allows for smooth cruising during aggressive outdoor adventures.
- Features an AUX outlet that allows for the plugging in of external media devices
- Stylish and highly durable
- Comes with an adjustable seatbelt that enhances your kid's safety during play
- Can easily cruise past tough surfaces
- Features real LED lights for a realistic driving experience
- Can be controlled either manually or through a remote control
- Has a spring suspension system for enhanced comfort when driving on rough terrain
- Made from durable, non-toxic ABS plastic
- The battery can get easily damaged if overcharged
- The extra features lead to rapid battery consumption
- Seat belts aren't durable, especially if mishandled
Uenjoy 12V Police Ride-On SUV
Cops are cool; after all, they help keep us safe. This police-themed ride-on truck by Uenjoy comes with a host of impressive features—top of the list being its portable handle. The portable handle can be pulled from the front of the car to move it like a suitcase, in case the battery runs out.
The adjustable seat belts allow for enhanced comfort during play. You'll also love that the ride-on truck comes with both manual and remote-control modes, which allows you to regulate your child's play, especially as he's learning to use his patrol SUV.
The presence of bright flashing lights, a walkie-talkie, and a siren means your little one will feel like a real law enforcer. The doors can open and close at will, while the shock absorbers allow for smooth navigation past tricky terrain.
- Comes with an AUX player and built-in music
- 2.4G remote control allows parents to dictate play from far
- Shock absorber enhances overall safety
- Power indicator to show battery status
- Lockable, double doors
- Safety belt and slow start functionality allow for increased safety
- Cannot accommodate more than 30 kgs (66 lbs)
- The battery can last under an hour when all features are used
Uenjoy 12V Licensed Mercedes-Benz G63 Ride-On truck Car
Not too many ride-on trucks compare to this Licensed G63 Mercedes by Uenjoy when it comes to appearance. This beast of a car truck comes with adjustable windows that can be removed to alter the door height.
The dual drive mode allows you to alter between three speeds when using a remote control. Your little one can shift between two speeds by stepping on the foot pedal, while you can use the 2.4G remote control to determine the pace of the ride-on car.
This highly capable ride-on toy car also has multiple functions as it comes with a working radio, AUX cord, built-in music, and a USB port to play the music of your child's choice. The functional LED lights and built-in horn add to this toy's capability.
- Comes with a double lockable design for safer doors
- The spring suspension mechanism allows for smoother rides
- The adjustable seat belts enhance the ride-on car's safety
- Dual operation mode allows for parental control using a 2.4G wireless remote
- Adjustable window design allows your child to change its appearance
- The tires aren't of the highest quality
- Repeatedly adjusting the windows increases the chances of damage
Rollplay GMC Sierra 12V Ride On Truck
The Rollplay GMC 12V ride on truck comes with two opening doors and highly realistic windows. The clear windshield and large enough side mirrors give the truck its realistic look. To ensure your little one isn't interrupted during play, the car has a battery charge indicator that blinks once the battery is low.
Although the tailgate isn't moveable, the ride-on truck is well-spaced to provide enough legroom to accommodate your child and his friend. You'll love the luxury design that's characterized by a classy dashboard packed with an MP3 connector.
- Comes with working headlights
- Boasts a realistic, classy design
- The driving area has enough legroom and is spacious enough to accommodate two drivers
- Comes with an indicator that helps indicate battery life
- Maintains charge despite coming with a host of features
- You'll need to purchase 2 AA batteries separately to access additional features
- Tailgate can't be lowered
Peg Perego Polaris RZR 900 Camo Ride-On
You won't find too many ride-on cars with cup holders and tie-down anchors. The Peg Perego Polaris RZR 900 Camo Ride-On lives to its reputation as it boasts some truly impressive, safety-enhancing features. This truck comes with a large enough cargo bed to accommodate your little one's toys.
As a two-seater, this Peg Perego ride-on truck doesn't compromise on space, especially when it comes to legroom. It comes with adjustable seat belts that make the toy more realistic (not for security reasons). Moreover, the high-quality wheels with super traction allow the toy to cruise past hard surfaces, mud, gravel, and wet grass.
- Features a working horn
- Comes with an automatic brake system for enhanced safety while driving
- The wheels have extra traction, thus allowing for smooth navigation
- The bucket seats are adjustable to accommodate your child as they grow taller
- Comes with a speed lockout system that prevents risky speeding, especially before your kid learns to use the toy
- Cup holders allow your child to quench thirst during play without the need to go inside for water or juice
- The dashboard is pretty basic
- Doesn't perform well on wet or muddy surfaces
Peg Perego John Deere Force Tractor With Trailer
Does your little prince or princess wax lyrical about farm life? If so, then you should consider buying them this powerful toy. This Peg Perego tractor comes with an adjustable seat that has flip-up armrests for extra comfort.
It's not all about endless driving and pretends farming with this handy tractor as it comes with a real FM radio. Your little one can listen to his favorite songs as he gets his hands dirty. Kids also love the extra spacious stake-side trailer for carrying ‘farming equipment and other toys.
- Has a parent-controlled speed lockout feature for extra safety as your child learns to use the toy
- Comes with a decently-sized detachable trailer
- Can manage a maximum speed of 4.5 mph (7.2 kph), which is pretty impressive for a ride-on tractor
- The high-quality wheels provide extra traction on pavement, dirt, gravel, and grass
- Has adjustable seats with quality armrests (flip-up)
- The dashboard is too basic
Best Choice 12V Land Rover Ride-On Truck
Allow your child to have a genuine SUV experience with this Best Choice Land Rover truck. It comes with two riding options, manual and remote control driving. The 2.4Ghz remote allows you to control your little one's movements while playing outdoors.
The treated tires ensure that outdoor driving is a breeze as this car can comfortably cruise past rough terrain and mud. Your child will also love the openable doors and the car's spacious nature, which allows them to tag a friend along. Moreover, the rugged frame helps create a truck-like experience that's difficult to find in other ride-on cars.
- The suspension system ensures your child rides smoothly across rough terrain
- Spacious and can accommodate two riders
- Made from durable, high-quality plastic
- Remote control and manual operation
- Realistic, highly classy external appearance
- The 3.7 mph (6 kph) maximum speed is a bit slow compared to other ride-on trucks within its range
Power Wheels Baja Trailster
When it comes to power and the ability to navigate past rough terrain, the Power Wheels Baja Trailster stands out from a variety of ride-on cars. This truck is meant for intense off-road adventures, and it gets even better. The spacious cockpit allows your little adventurer to tag a friend along with the outdoor adventures.
The extra-rugged tires, supportive sidebars, and super solid steel frame give this ride-on truck the traction and stability needed for high-energy outdoor use. For extra safety, the ride-on car has a high-speed lock (parent-controlled) to minimize injury risks during play.
- Extra safe due to the extra strong metal sidebars
- Rugged tires enhance overall traction, allowing your child to cruise past rough terrain
- Can manage 5 mph (8 kph) forward speed and a 2.5 mph (4 kph) reverse speed
- Spacious enough to fit two adventurers
- The light bars aren't real
Power Wheels Hot Wheels Jeep Wrangler
This Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler stands out due to its amazing Hot Wheels-themed graphics and colors. It also has a relatively large wheelbase and cockpit area compared to other ride-on trucks, which gives your kid more legroom and stability.
The plastic tires on this truck are well-treaded for increased traction, allowing the car to move past wet grass, hard surfaces, and rough terrain. Your little one will also appreciate the two forward speeds—2.5 mph (4 kph) and 5 mph (8 kph). You'll need to remove the high-speed lock for your child to drive at 5 mph (8 kph).
This Power Wheels Hot Wheels Jeep Wrangler doesn't disappoint when it comes to storage space. The storage area at the rear is spacious enough to fit a couple of large toys. Although it doesn't come with a real FM radio, the motor sounds made by the pretend radio are still realistic enough.
- Beautiful Hot Wheels graphics and colors
- Highly spacious cockpit area for increased legroom
- Capable of driving past wet grass and rough terrain
- Durable as it's made from quality plastic
- Manages a maximum forward speed of 5 mph (8 kph) and a reverse speed of 2.5 mph (4 kph)
- Requires three AA batteries for the pretend radio or motor sounds to work
With many ride-on trucks to choose from, you'll need to consider your little one's preferences in terms of appearance and performance. Naturally, little children will want colorful toys that resemble your actual car, so you might want to pay attention to the outward appearance of the ride-on car.
However, as you focus on the external appearance, don't forget to check on additional features such as safety belts, space, age limit, seating capacity, and even durability. The best ride-on trucks should last for years and even be passed down to siblings.