This post contains affiliate links.
As a responsible, present parent, it's only normal for your kids to want to be like you. While they can't reach your height, or weight (yet), they can feel a lot like mommy or daddy by driving similar cars and trucks. Ride-on trucks are arguably among the best toys in terms of child development, so what are the best Power Wheels trucks you can get your child to make them feel special?
The best Power Wheels ride-on trucks for kids should be large enough to allow your little champ to tag a friend or their favorite toys along. The best ride-on trucks should also have the capacity to drive through rough terrain, wet grass, and even mud without compromising your little one's safety.
If you're still reading, chances are you're looking for the right toy to surprise your child with. Don't worry; you are in the right place. Keep reading for an in-depth review of some of the best ride-on trucks for kids.
Factors to Consider When Buying Ride On Trucks
When looking to surprise your little one with a ride-on truck for their birthday, or just for being a good child, it's important to consider the following factors.
It's important to consider your child's age when buying Power Wheels trucks. This is because some ride-on trucks are meant for children under 3 years, while others are designed for kids between 3-7 years. You can even find ride-on trucks for older kids above 7 years.
The trick when buying these trucks is to check on the weight limit. This should guide you on whether it suits your child's age. However, it is advisable to buy a ride-on truck that has a larger weight limit than your kid's current weight. This should allow your child to use the truck even after he's put on some weight when growing.
Ride-on trucks come in different power ratings. You'll find most as either 6V and 12V. A 6V ride-on car is mostly meant for indoor use as it doesn't have enough power to cruise past rough terrain and mud. 6V trucks work well for kids under 3 years as they don't need too much speed and power.
On the other hand, 12V trucks are perfect for older kids above 3 or 4 years as they love being adventurous and driving around like their parents. A 12V Power Wheels truck can comfortably ride past mud, wet grass, gravel, and other rough terrains. Therefore, be sure to consider power ratings before purchasing a ride-on truck for your little one.
Size and Space
Size is also an important consideration to make when dealing with ride-on trucks, as the last thing you want is to spend your hard-earned cash on a toy that doesn't fit your kid. While the recommended age can help you determine whether the size is ideal for your kid, it's crucial to consider your child's actual measurements to be on the safe side.
Kids love playing pretend, which means they might want to pack their toys inside the truck. Due to this, purchasing a spacious truck might help make your little one a lot happier. Besides carrying toys, children also love to play with their siblings or friends, so a 2-seater ride-on truck can come in handy if you have more than one child.
Nowadays, ride-on cars have features like those of actual cars. They come with real onboard entertainment systems like FM radios, MP3 players, and ports to connect USBs and SD cards.
These features allow you to play your child's favorite music or stories, which add to the toys' entertainment value. You can even play educational stories or songs that will help your child learn a thing or two during play.
Tire quality plays an integral role in determining the usability of a ride-on truck, and since trucks are designed for hardcore outdoor adventures, it is crucial to buy your child a truck with high-quality wheels.
Check whether the tires are made of rubber or plastic and whether they have enough treads for increased grip and traction during play. High-quality tires will ensure your little one makes the most out of their ride-on truck by cruising past rough terrain.
Power Wheels Ford F-150 Purple Camo
12V Power Wheels trucks don't get any better than this. This Ford-inspired Power Wheels comes with a Monster Traction system that allows it to navigate smoothly past hard surfaces, rough terrain, and wet grass. With a real FM radio, your little one will get to feel like an actual driver and enjoy their time outdoors.
The Ford F-150 ride-on truck can comfortably fit two riders and has a spacious truck bed with a lift-and-lower tailgate (that works). This bad boy can manage 2.5 mph (4 kph) and 5 mph (8 kph) forward speeds and can also reverse at a speed of 2.5 mph (4 kph).
- Spacious enough to accommodate two riders
- Comes with a real FM radio
- Has a high-speed lockout (parent-controlled)
- Features Power-Lock brakes for enhanced safety
- Capable of driving past wet grass, rough terrain, and hard surfaces
- Fairly costly compared to other products
Power Wheels Disney Princess Jeep Wrangler
This Disney princess-themed Jeep Wrangler is a great pick for your little girl. The outstanding graphics are guaranteed to leave your little one excited to take the truck outside and embark on her adventures. While the truck can fit kids aged 8-9 years, the recommended age is 3-7 years due to its 130 lbs (59 kgs) weight limit.
Although the truck doesn't come with a real radio, the pretend radio will work just fine as it produces exciting driving sounds to complement the real Disney princess character phrases. Additionally, the spacious rear section can act like your little one's storage section, safely storing her dolls and take-along gear.
- Has real doors that can open and close easily
- Comes with a 12-V battery and its charger
- Designed to maneuver past rough terrain and wet grass
- Believable Disney-themed colors and graphics
- Pretend radio produces near-real driving sounds
- The legroom might be small for tall children
- Storage space is not the largest around
Best Choice Kids 6V Ride-On Truck
Manufactured by Best Choice, this ride on truck stands out due to its realistic single-child design and remote-control functionality. It features realistic LED headlights, while the built-in horn ensures your little one feels like an adult cruising down the street.
As both a manual and remote-control ride-on car, you'll have full control over where your child rides. The remote comes with reverse/forward controls, speed selection, and even a parking function. Moreover, the presence of a built-in AUX outlet means you can plug in a media device with your little one's favorite music.
- Realistic design with LED headlights and a foot pedal accelerator
- Has both manual and remote-control functionality for enhanced safety
- Allows for the connection of external media due to its built-in AUX outlet
- Can manage three speeds
- Can only fit one child
- Not ideal for rough terrain and muddy surfaces
- 2 mph (3.2 kph) maximum speed is fairly slow for larger kids
Ottaro Children Electric 12V Ride-On truck
Featuring an AUX input, USB port, MP3 player, and a TF card slot, this highly capable truck is among the best gifts to get your little adventurer. Your little one can drive while listening to jolly children's songs courtesy of the wide variety of media channels.
This truck can operate in two modes: parental control mode and battery mode. Use the remote control to regulate the truck's speed before your kid knows how to operate it fully. The battery mode allows your child to accelerate by stepping on the foot pedal.
To prove its credentials as a mini truck for kids, the car's wheels (both front and rear) feature a high-quality spring system, which allows for smooth driving on rough terrain. Moreover, the soft-start technology ensures your child doesn't get shocked or frightened by sudden braking or acceleration.
- Comes with a remote controller for additional safety
- Real seat belts for enhanced safety
- Double lockable doors for maximum safety during play
- Features an MP3 player, USB port, TF card slot, and an AUX input for all-round entertainment
- Wear-resistant wheels made from superior, durable PP materials
- Storage battery likely to spoil if not correctly charged
- Media functions rapidly consume power
Chevrolet Silverado 12V Kids Ride On Truck
This realistic Chevy ride-on truck is great for anyone who wants a parental control option via a remote. Any truck-loving kid will enjoy this mini version of a Chevy. It comes with spring suspension, LED Lights, music options, and a lot of rider space. There are also four color options; black, navy, pink, and red.
With the medium price range and safety features, this ride-on truck is a great option for 3 to 4-year-olds.
- Parental Controls
- 3 speed options
- Seat bealt and double lockable door.
- Only space for one rider.
- Charge time 5-8hrs
Moderno 12 Volt Explorer Truck
This beast of a ride-on truck is perfect for the casual adventurer. It comes with 2 powerful motors and can manage a maximum speed of 5 mph (8 kph). You'll also love that it has two operating modes: a parental mode and a battery mode.
Besides having openable doors, this powerful truck also features working LED lights and headlights. The real tail lights and an openable hood only add to the value of this capable ride-on truck.
In terms of entertainment, your child will enjoy the integrated MP3 player with FM radio and Bluetooth functionality. You can easily connect music with your Android phone or iPhone and other external devices like iPads and iPods.
- Comes with a long-range, full-function parental remote control
- Working LED headlights and light bars add to the realism of the car
- Openable doors and hood increase accessibility and functionality of the ride-on truck
- The 12V battery comes with overload protection
- Spacious enough to accommodate two riders comfortably
- Costlier than other ride-on trucks
- The extra features consume the battery, hence the need for regular charging
Best Choice 12V Ride-On Car Truck With 3 Speeds
Besides its attractive truck-like appearance, this 12V ride-on truck is highly powerful as it can comfortably cruise past rough terrain, mud, and wet grass. You can set the truck to operate in three-speed options, with 3.7 mph (6 kph) being its fastest speed.
Since the 12v truck by Best Choice operates in both remote control and manual modes, you can easily regulate where and how your little one rides. The remote allows for speed selection and has forward and reverse controls, which give you control over your child's riding session.
The body is made from durable ABS plastic, while the tires are designed to provide extra traction. Your child will also love the suspension system that allows for smooth cruising during aggressive outdoor adventures.
- Features an AUX outlet that allows for the plugging in of external media devices
- Stylish and highly durable
- Comes with an adjustable seatbelt that enhances your kid's safety during play
- Can easily cruise past tough surfaces
- Features real LED lights for a realistic driving experience
- Can be controlled either manually or through a remote control
- Has a spring suspension system for enhanced comfort when driving on rough terrain
- Made from durable, non-toxic ABS plastic
- The battery can get easily damaged if overcharged
- The extra features lead to rapid battery consumption
- Seat belts aren't durable, especially if mishandled
Uenjoy 12V Police Ride-On SUV
Cops are cool; after all, they help keep us safe. This police-themed ride-on truck by Uenjoy comes with a host of impressive features—top of the list being its portable handle. The portable handle can be pulled from the front of the car to move it like a suitcase, in case the battery runs out.
The adjustable seat belts allow for enhanced comfort during play. You'll also love that the ride-on truck comes with both manual and remote-control modes, which allows you to regulate your child's play, especially as he's learning to use his patrol SUV.
The presence of bright flashing lights, a walkie-talkie, and a siren means your little one will feel like a real law enforcer. The doors can open and close at will, while the shock absorbers allow for smooth navigation past tricky terrain.
- Comes with an AUX player and built-in music
- 2.4G remote control allows parents to dictate play from far
- Shock absorber enhances overall safety
- Power indicator to show battery status
- Lockable, double doors
- Safety belt and slow start functionality allow for increased safety