This post contains affiliate links.
Power wheels have become increasingly popular over the years, especially due to their realistic but still child-friendly designs. For most children, power wheels are the ultimate gifts. These ride-on toys give our little ones the chance to feel like adults, well, tiny adults, but with so many power wheels to choose from, what are the best options for boys?
The best power wheels for boys should be fast and durable. Boys love speed, which makes fast-moving cars better options. And since boys have enormous energy reserves, they'll probably smash their cars on the fence, trees, and even rocks, hence the need for extra durable power wheels.
Are you curious to learn about the best power wheels for your little boy? Then you are in the right place. In this article, we'll review 17 of the best power wheels in the market while providing a buyer's guide to help you choose the right product.
Hot Wheels Jeep Wrangler
Featuring a realistic Jeep design, this ride-on car by Power Wheels is the perfect off-road car for your little man. Its similarity to an actual Jeep doesn't stop with its shape. It also features a Jeep-like grille, front and back fenders, and roll bars. The additional Hot Wheels colors and graphics make the ride-on car a must-have toy for active boys.
The Power Wheels Hot Wheels Jeep Wrangler has a large cockpit area that provides more legroom for your kids during play. The increased wheelbase enhances the car's overall stability, thus making it safe for aggressive outdoor play.
- It can manage a max forward speed of 5 mph (8km/h) and a maximum reverse speed of 2.5 mph (4km/h).
- A spacious rear storage area that allows your child to carry his other toys.
- It features flashy and quality wheels and accents.
- It easily drives on grass and hard surfaces.
- The package includes a 12-volt battery and charger.
- It produces motor sounds.
- It features exciting Hot Wheels graphics and colors.
- It comes with a high-speed lock that helps limit the maximum speed to 2.5 mph until your child is ready.
- Features an electronic braking system that stops the vehicle when the driver's foot is no longer on the pedal.
- The interior is child-protected to prevent scratches and cuts.
- It comes with wide-tread, rugged tires to enhance driving safety.
- Two-seater ride on car.
- It doesn't support weights above 130lb (59kg), meaning your child can only ride solo as he becomes heavier.
The Power Wheels Baja Trailster is undoubtedly among the best off-road ride-on cars in the market. Featuring a spacious cockpit, this Power Wheels car toy has two seats to fit two children. It manages a 5 mph maximum forward speed and a 2.5 mph reverse speed.
The presence of a sturdy steel frame, large tires, and metal sidebars provide additional support to keep your little one safe at all times during play. Other safety features that make this ride-on toy stand out are the presence of power-lock brakes and a parent-controlled high-speed lockout. The pretend bar (roof-mounted) gives the dune racer a realistic look that's guaranteed to leave your child excited.
- It drives comfortably on grass, rough terrain, and hard surfaces.
- Features Power-Lock brakes and a parent-controlled high-speed lockout.
- It comes as a two-seater, allowing your child to tag a sibling or a friend along.
- Battery-powered and easily rechargeable.
- It comes with a unique roof with a mounted light bar.
- Has big tires and a sturdy steel frame that provides additional support.
- The interior is fairly basic.
Ford F150 Raptor
The Ford F150 Raptor Power Wheels comes with oversized tires, raptor styling, and a lifted body that make your little boy feel like a boss. The monster traction system allows your child to drive comfortably on wet grass, rough terrain, and hard surfaces.
This handy ride-on toy comes with two-speed settings for forwarding driving (2.5 mph and 5 mph). The reverse speed stands at 2.5 mph. And for enhanced safety, it also boasts a parent-controlled high-speed lockout. Your little one will love the pretend radio with preloaded sound effects and tunes.
- Highly spacious and realistic.
- Features a spacious truck bed with a real-working tailgate to haul other toys around.
- The pretend radio and sound effects make driving more fun for your child.
- Rugged design and Monster Traction system provide extra power to maneuver tricky terrain.
- Features a Power Lock brake system that stops the vehicle once the mini-driver takes his foot off the pedal.
- It fits two passengers.
- The package comes with a charger and a 12-volt battery.
- It is relatively costly compared to other ride-on toys.
Paw Patrol Jeep Wrangler
Does your little one love all things Paw Patrol? If so, then look no further than this Paw Patrol-themed Jeep Wrangler Power Wheels from Fisher-Price. This highly capable children's ride-on jeep stands out due to its extra features. Besides having a storage area, your little champ will also love the car's real driving sounds and working doors.
The presence of a 12V battery allows the mini-driver to drive over wet grass and hard surfaces at an impressive speed of up to 5 mph. The parent-controlled, high-speed lock ensures your ambitious driver always remains safe.
- The pretend radio produces near-real driving sounds.
- It can manage 5 mph when driven forward and 2.5 mph when being reversed.
- It comes with working doors that allow for smooth entry and exit.
- Two-seater car.
- The Paw Patrol theme is guaranteed to blow your child's mind away (not literally).
- The storage area isn't spacious enough to accommodate large toys.
Dune Racer Extreme
Any little boy aged 3 to 7 years would fancy the adventure that comes with the Dune Racer Extreme Power Wheels by Fisher-Price. This ride-on car boasts a Monster Traction system that allows it to move past rocks, mud, and rough terrain in a typical 4X4 fashion.
Similar to most Power Wheels ride-on cars, this car has a high-speed lock to provide extra protection for beginner drivers. The low-profile design and extra-wide tires ensure the car is stable enough to maneuver rocky terrains. Your little captain will also love the spacious open cockpit that allows him to tag his sibling or best friend along the bumpy ride.
- Comes with metal sidebars that provide hand support.
- It has an exciting secret storage compartment located beneath the hood.
- Two-seater, meaning your child can ride with a sibling or friend.
- Features a Monster Traction system that allows for navigation past tricky terrain.
- It comes with impressive chrome accents and a sporty blue frame.
- It doesn't come with pretend seatbelts.
Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler
Besides being capable of driving on wet grass and hard surfaces, the Tough Talking Jeep Wrangler by Power Wheels is among the most spacious ride-on cars you'll find. It features a pretend radio that produces real vehicle sounds in addition to playing preloaded tunes.
The storage is spacious enough, thus allowing your little champ to tag along a couple of his favorite toys. You'll also love the high-speed lock (parent-controlled) that'll give you peace of mind as your child learns to drive the car.
- It comes with a 12V battery and charger.
- Features Power-Lock brakes that enhance overall safety when driving.
- It is a two-seater with a maximum weight capacity of 130 lb (59 kg).
- Spacious rear storage area.
- It comes with a pretend radio.
- Features a microphone with a voice-amplifying speaker that produces fun sound effects.
- Capable of driving in tough terrain.
- Pretend radio only has two tunes.
Jurassic World Dino Racer ATV
This Jurassic World themed ride on ATV by Power Wheels is like no other. It can manage an impressive 6 mph forward speed and a 3 mph reverse speed. But you won't have to worry about your child's safety as it comes with a high-speed lockout (parent-controlled) and a Power-Lock brake system.
The Power Wheels Jurassic World Dino Racer has only one seat for a little passenger and can hold a maximum of 65 lbs without compromising safety. The package comes with a charger and a compatible 12V rechargeable battery, meaning you won't need to buy accessories separately.
- Kids can manually close and open the dinosaur's mouth for enhanced fun.
- Can comfortably drive on rough terrain, grass, and hard surfaces.
- It comes packed with a battery and its charger.
- It features a high-speed lockout for enhanced safety.
- The dinosaur theme is highly realistic.
- Not spacious enough to accommodate a passenger behind the driver.
Disney Pixar Toy Story Jeep Wrangler
This Toy Story-inspired Jeep Wrangler by Power Wheels comes with a pretend radio and amazing sound effects. As if that's not enough, the radio produces sounds with real character phrases and features Toy Story characters like Woody, Jessie, and Buzz Lightyear in its impressive design.
The large, wide-tread tires provide the traction needed to maneuver past grass and hard surfaces with relative ease. Although not the largest ride-on toy in the market, this car toy has two seats to comfortably fit two children, provided they're under 7 years and below 130 lbs.
- It comes with an impressive design featuring Toy Story graphics and colors.
- Pretend radio produces sound effects with real character phrases.
- Power lock brakes and high-speed lockout enhance overall safety.
- Wide, treaded tires allow for increased traction.
- The legroom isn't spacious enough to accommodate extra-tall children.
Jeep Wrangler Willys
If you want to get your little man a realistic ride-on car, then look no further than the Power Wheels Jeep Wrangler Willys. This capable toy car's dashboard comes with a pretend radio and a microphone fitted with a voice changer.
Your boy is likely to love the pretend fog lights and the real working light bar, of course. The removable toy shovel is another awesome feature guaranteed to excite your child, especially when playing pretend. It creates a near-real truck experience, which is hard to find in most ride-on cars.
- The pretend radio produces realistic driving sounds.
- It has a realistic appearance.
- It is fitted with a shovel.
- Parent-controlled high-speed lockout and the Power Lock brake system enhance overall safety during play.
- Two-seater ride-on toy with a 130 lb (59 kg) maximum weight capacity.
- It comes packed with a battery and charger.
- Slightly costlier than other Power Wheels Jeep Wranglers within its range.
Nickelodeon Paw Patrol Quad
Are you looking to spoil your toddler with a timeless gift? Then this Power Wheels Paw Patrol quad might just be what you need. This quad vehicle comes with breathtaking Paw Patrol graphics and colors and is specifically designed for little boys.
It features an easy-to-operate push-button and extra-comfortable footrests to ensure your little champ is super comfortable. This toddler quad vehicle manages a maximum speed of 2 mph courtesy of its 6V rechargeable battery. The extra low design makes it easy for your son to get aboard the toy without adult assistance.
- It is operated by a push-button, making it easy to start and stop.
- It comes with a storage compartment (secret).
- Can maneuver grass and fairly hard surfaces.
- It comes packed with a 6V battery and charger.
- It has a host of toddler-friendly features, like built-in footrests.
- It cannot reverse.
Power Wheels Purple Camo Ford F-150
The Ford F150 Purple Camo is perfect for the adventurous boy looking to burn some energy. Its external design tells a lot about its power as this bad boy truck can smoothly cruise past wet grass, rocky surfaces, and mud.
Besides the amazing camo graphics, this ride-on car comes with a real FM radio to keep your little one thoroughly entertained during play. And although it has pretend seat belts, its tailgate is real, therefore giving great value to its spacious truck bed.
- It comes with a real FM radio for nonstop entertainment.
- It's a two-seater, thus allowing your son to tag his sibling or friend along.
- Large truck bed with a functional tailgate.
- Features a high-speed lockout to enhance safety as your son starts to ride.
- Monster Traction ensures the truck can navigate past tough terrain.
- Costly compared to other ride on trucks.
- Real FM radio contributes to battery consumption.
Jurassic Park Jeep Wrangler
This Jurassic Park-inspired Jeep Wrangler by Power Wheels is guaranteed to keep your son outdoors for hours. Boasting a working light bar and managing a 5 mph top speed, your little one will feel like he's driving an actual car. The wheels are wide enough to provide the much-needed balance, allowing it to navigate past grass, rocks, and other hard surfaces smoothly.
To complement the Jurassic Park styling and graphics, the toy can make exhilarating dino-chase sounds, which takes outdoor fun to the next level.
- Outstanding and highly believable Jurassic Park styling and graphics.
- It comes with a spacious storage area.
- It features a working light bar.
- Capable of driving past tough terrain and wet grass.
- It manages two forward speeds: 2.5 mph and 5 mph.
- Pretend radio produces driving sounds and realistic dinosaur roars.
- The working light bar increases battery consumption.
Hot Wheels Racing ATV
Featuring amazing Hot Wheels graphics, this sporty vehicle from Power Wheels by Fisher-Price is both beautiful and capable. Its unique drive system allows it to cruise past rough terrain at an impressive 6 mph forward speed. This racing ATV also manages to reverse at a speed of 3 mph.
Although meant for off-road adventures, the Fisher-Price Power Wheels Hot Wheels Racing ATV doesn't gamble with safety. You can utilize the high-speed lockout (parent-controlled) to enhance your child's safety during play.
- Attractive Hot Wheels inspired external design.
- Features a strong drive system that can comfortably power over hard surfaces and slippery grass.
- 6 mph forward speed allows for exhilarating outdoor adventure.
- Spacious interior for comfortable riding.
- It could use a storage compartment.
Minions: The Rise of Gru Jeep Wrangler
Run by a 12V battery, this highly capable ride-on toy is just what your little boy needs. The Minion-themed car by Power Wheels is among the few ride-on cars that come with working doors, which helps recreate the feeling of an actual car.
Besides its fake radio that produces realistic driving sounds, this ride-on Jeep has a spacious storage area for other toys. The presence of a high-speed lockout (parent-controlled) means you can rest comfortably knowing your little adventurer is safe during play.
- It comes with a realistic Jeep Wrangler design.
- Outstanding Minions graphics.
- Pretend radio produces realistic driving sounds.
- Spacious storage area.
- It comes with real working doors.
- It comes with Power Lock brakes and a parent-controlled high-speed lockout.
- Strong enough to cruise past tough surfaces and wet grass.
- The driving sounds tend to become monotonous after a while.
- It loses power more frequently on terrain.
Trail Racer ATV
This neon-green ATV by Power Wheels has adventure written all over it. Its powerful drive system allows your little adventurer to cruise past gravel, mud, wet grass, and rough terrain. It manages a decent speed of 6 mph on forwarding drive and 3 mph in reverse.
While this capable ATV can only carry one child, it is still spacious enough to allow for a comfortable ride. The chrome-accented wheels and sporty look give this ATV the rough outdoor feel. The presence of Power Lock brakes and a high-speed lockout (parent-controlled) enhance overall safety, thus giving you much-needed peace of mind.
- The sporty design and chrome-accented wheels enhance the appearance of the ATV.
- It manages an impressive forward speed of 6 mph.
- Spacious enough to allow for increased comfort.
- Realistic ATV styling.
- Powerful enough to move past gravel and other tough terrains.
- It could do with extra storage space.
Spider-Man Jeep Wrangler
Allow your little superhero to embark on crime-fighting adventures outdoors with this high-quality ride-on car. This Spider-Man-themed Jeep Wrangler from Power Wheels by Fisher-Price has a spacious storage area to hide toys and some snacks. It comes with a 12V battery that allows it to drive smoothly past wet grass and rocky surfaces.
Besides its impressive off-road capability, this car comes with working doors and produces real driving sounds, courtesy of its pretend radio. The doors are stable enough and can withstand some heavy impact, meaning you won't need to worry about repair costs.
- Features power lock brakes and high-speed lock out (parent-controlled) for enhanced safety.
- Powerful enough to cruise past tough terrain.
- It comes with a pretend radio that plays near-realistic driving sounds.
- Impressive superman graphics and a realistic Jeep-like appearance.
- Working door enhances usability during play.
- Its spacious storage area allows children to carry their toys along.
- Driving sounds can become monotonous after a while.
Power Wheels Dune Racer
The Power Wheels Dune Racer stands out due to its open, spacious cockpit. Similar to the Power Wheels Dune Racer Extreme, this bad boy can take your child's adventure to the next level. The Monster Traction drive system can easily power over tricky terrains such as gravel and mud.
Your little adventurer will love the secret storage compartment that allows him to place his toys and other necessities. The 12V rechargeable battery enables the Dune Racer to reach maximum drive speeds of 5 mph.
- It comes with metal sidebars that provide extra support to keep your child safe.
- The secret storage area is ideal for outdoor play and pretend games.
- The sturdy steel frame enhances overall safety and stability.
- The Monster Traction system allows for smooth driving in rough terrain, hard surfaces, and wet grass.
- The spacious cockpit allows the mini driver to tag along his mate.
- It comes with a charger and a 12V battery.
- It has a basic interior similar to the Power Wheels Dune Racer Extreme.
Power Wheels for Boys: A Buyers Guide
Granted, your little one will love having a Power Wheel as a toy. But similar to other products, you'll need to be careful to get one that suits your child and his age. To help you out, here's a buyer's guide for purchasing Power Wheels.
Check on the Battery Voltage
Power Wheels usually come with 6V or 12V batteries. 6V Power Wheels, due to their relatively low power, make perfect toys for toddlers who don't need that much speed during play. But if you're planning on buying ride-on motorized car for kids aged 4-7, then you might want to settle for 12V Power Wheels. Higher voltage wheels are mostly suitable for outdoor play as they can maneuver past rough terrain and wet grass.
Power Wheels come in different shapes and sizes. And since these toys aren't meant for teens or adults, it's best to consider your child's preferences. Is he a Spider-Man fan, or is he a Jeep enthusiast just like mummy or daddy? These are some of the considerations to make when buying Power Wheels. While Power Wheel design isn't a make-or-break feature, it can go a long way in making your little one happy.
As observable from our above review, not all Power Wheels come with storage compartments. Although not a mandatory feature, getting your little one a Power Wheel with a storage compartment will make his toy more usable. He'll participate in more make-believe games as he'll be able to tag along with his favorite toys when he goes to play.
This is an important feature to consider, especially if you have more than one child. Getting your son an ATV is an excellent option if he doesn't have a sibling. On the other hand, it's best advised to get your little one a 2-seater Power Wheel if he has a sibling or twin, or loves playing with friends. However, getting a 2-seater is always a safe option as your little one won't have to take turns in case a friend comes over.
Power Wheels are known for their attention to detail and, most importantly, safety features. Check whether the ride-on car comes packed with Power Lock brakes and a parent-controlled high-speed lockout. Extra safety features will give you the peace of mind that your little one is safe when playing outside.
Power Wheels are constantly trying to make their electric ride on cars and trucks as realistic as possible. You'll find that most cars come with pretend FM that produces realistic driving sounds. Some even take it a notch higher as they come with real radios. Check on the extra features to ensure you buy a Power Wheel that'll leave your little one excited.
The last thing you want is to buy a car with limited legroom. And since your child is growing by the day, it's crucial to get a car that'll serve him for a couple of years. Therefore, don't hesitate to countercheck the cockpit dimensions and the overall dimensions of the car. The larger, the better, but that doesn't mean you buy your 3-year-old a Power Wheel meant for 6-year-old children.
With several Power Wheels to choose from, it's crucial to choose one that satisfies your child's needs. The Power Wheels reviewed above are proven performers and are designed to stand the test of time.
Whichever Power Wheel you choose for your little one, be sure it has the necessary safety features. 6V Power Wheels work best for young toddlers, while their 12V counterparts are best suited for slightly older kids.