SigEp's Power Wheels Porsche GT3 Lighting Upgrade! 246

Have you added running lights? Headlamps? Perhaps some spinners?
SigEp
Administrator

SigEp's Power Wheels Porsche GT3 Lighting Upgrade!

Post by SigEp »

I almost NEVER buy new BPRO's, but when one comes out that won't hit the used market until my kids have outgrown these things I have to make an exception. Thus was the case with the new Power Wheels Porsche GT3. It's probably the coolest BPRO Power Wheels has come out with in years. So when the TRU 20% off coupon came in the mail, I pulled the trigger.

This car will end up being my daughters first modified BRPO. My son has had several from a 12v Cars 2 McQueen, to his tricked out Kid Trax Fire Engine, to his lit up Ranger Rzr. Now it's sissy's turn.

My plan is the following to be completed before Christmas morning:

18v Drive - Not sure if I'm going with 3-6v or a 12v + 6v... I have a spare 6v so I might use that with a 12v for starters, then switch down the road.

Lighting - Twin Eagle Eye headlights per side plus front facing white led strips (just like the real car). Red led tail light strips plus possibly a center rear wing led strip. Red under glo tubes. All lighting powered by one dash switch and powered by a separate 12v battery mounted under the seat with separate charging posts.

This car is sweet. The only two negatives I've found so far is that they stuffed the decals in a wad in the center of the car. They're all white creased up so I'm going to get new decals. Two, the stearing wheel is made with super thin plastic and very flimsy. Besides that, this is one of the best built PWs they've made in a while. This car is super wide, far wider than an Escalade.

Lighting has been ordered. Here's a couple pics after removing from the box. They actually asked me if I wanted to pay another $25 to have it assembled. I mean seriously? :lol:
1.JPG
1.JPG (62.57 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (72.78 KiB) Viewed 8467 times
Last edited by SigEp on Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

It's no longer a toy...

12v KT Fire Truck - Lights/Siren ------------------------------- 24v PP Ranger Rzr - Lights
SigEp's Master Project Page ---------------------------------- 18v PW Porsche GT3 - Lights
toycrusher
Administrator

Re: SigEp's Power Wheels Porsche GT3 Lighting Upgrade!

Post by toycrusher »

I can't believe you broke the senior modder's unspoken rule and bought new! :evil: :evil: :evil:

Oh well, we all have a breaking point :lol:

Is it really a unique chassis?
"I'm not nuts, I prefer to be called an enthusiast! "

"I've stood on the shoulders of geniuses, and taken the next step..." ;-)

Master Project List
(F150 6x6, 36v Superpower, 24v Beach Ranger 4x4, McQueen "El Relampago", 36v Polaris, Mudvette, Lil jeep dragster & mudder, 36v Rzr, Lifted Cowboy's jeep, FJ cruiser, Lil quad 18v, etc...)

Toycrushers Master Wiring Diagrams
SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

That's a good question. It has the interior feel of a Dune Racer, but with a body, dash, etc. like a car. It's certainly not like any I've seen before. It has solid structural supports for the front and sides of the car as well. Not like the flimsy ones on the McQueen/Stock/Mustang cars which just break off.
It's no longer a toy...

12v KT Fire Truck - Lights/Siren ------------------------------- 24v PP Ranger Rzr - Lights
SigEp's Master Project Page ---------------------------------- 18v PW Porsche GT3 - Lights
cantdrivestock
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Post by cantdrivestock »

Another thing to note is the size of the tires. If I had to guess I'd say they're almost Escalade size! Makes me wonder what gearbox is in it and if you could put a 21t/23t for even more speed.
http://www.facebook.com/milesofsmilescustomcars" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Archive of my past projects
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=14026" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

cantdrivestock wrote:Another thing to note is the size of the tires. If I had to guess I'd say they're almost Escalade size! Makes me wonder what gearbox is in it and if you could put a 21t/23t for even more speed.
I haven't measured them, but the tires seem to be about mustang size, just a little narrower. They're an entirely new tire.
It's no longer a toy...

SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

Parts are in, now I just need to find the time to do the project.

We took the kids to see Santa yesterday. My daughter was sitting on his knee and he asked what she wanted for Christmas. She smiled and said, "I want a red Porsche". The attending elf just about choaked herself, "D...d...did she say red Porsche?" :shock: Yes, yes she did. :D

That's how MPW kids roll! ;)
It's no longer a toy...

SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

Finally found some time to continue working on this project. I don't think it will be done by Christmas. Plus I'm out of batteries...lol. Anyways, front lights are installed. Here's some pics:
3.JPG
3.JPG (72.88 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
4.JPG
4.JPG (86.91 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (73.86 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
6.JPG
6.JPG (91.69 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (98.21 KiB) Viewed 8173 times
It's no longer a toy...

concrete_boots

Post by concrete_boots »

That front bumper looks killer !
6772owner
Cpl. Battery Boiler

Post by 6772owner »

Agreed, love the front ends especially the larger eagle eye LED's, great job so far!
Power Wheels Escalade: Custom Paint, LED's, Stereo/Speakers, 24V/ESC
Power Wheels Barbie Beach Patrol: LED's, 24V/ESC, Strobe Kit
Power Wheels Mustang GT (Customer Build): 24V/ESC, LED Lighting, Custom Paint
MT FJ Cruiser (Customer Build): 24v/ESC, LED's, Custom Paint
Power Wheels Take Along Tunes Jeep (Customer Build): 12V/18V NOS, Rubber Tires
MT 6V Corvette: Custom Paint, Dual Motor Conv, LED Lighting
Power Wheels ATV (Customer Build)
KidTrax Dodge Charger Police Car (Customer Build)
SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

I need to get working on this project again! With Christmas and a family vacation to Asia for 3 weeks, I've shelved it. I hope to get this finished soon. I just got my 4 batteries for the car in this past week. 3 - 6v12ah and 1 - 12v9ah for lighting. Time to get it wired!
It's no longer a toy...

RSwannabe

Post by RSwannabe »

Any update on this project? Thinking about getting this GT3 for my daughter birthday in March and interested in how well it responds to the mods.
SigEp
Administrator

Post by SigEp »

No, I'm afraid not. I have the main drive batteries and just need to hook them up. Just too much going on in life right now... :?
It's no longer a toy...

dapoet

Post by dapoet »

Your thought process is similar to mine on this build. I have a bunch of lights and audio going into the one for my kid.Already did custom decals, Licenses plates, etc. Going to work on the ride with my kid though.
Nsiddons

Post by Nsiddons »

Hey how did you get the head lights to stay in place once you put the led where the screw hole is.
Roadmonkeytj
Jeep Jacker

Post by Roadmonkeytj »

We liked this one as well loved the radio ... Unfortunately the legs are just not long enough. It has several best features but the best part is when you run a escalade into it and the hood pops up and your child goes uhoh lol ... Good times in the isle with a battery.... Any further pictures of this beast?
Csalemka

Post by Csalemka »

what's the brand and where did you get the headlights? both the eagle eyes and the LED bar