RC Prestige Mini Motors Porsche Build - All metal body

Adding R/C to your Powerwheels vehicles? Using R/C parts on your Powerwheels?
rcdad0622

RC Prestige Mini Motors Porsche Build - All metal body

Post by rcdad0622 »

Here is a gem that I picked up on Ebay. It was VERY hard to find one with the windshields as they are poorly attached. More build pics to come.

Here is a video of testing out the ESC and Controller. I put a 7AH 12V in there for the test. I most likely will get a longer AH battery or use to 6Vs wired in series.
http://youtu.be/CHWUNCmpmGE
Working headlights I will be converting to LED
Working headlights I will be converting to LED
Porsche 3.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
Porsche 1.jpg
Porsche 1.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
Ready to take to the body shop for a Porsche colored Viper Green paint job!
Ready to take to the body shop for a Porsche colored Viper Green paint job!
Porsche 2.jpg (14.82 KiB) Viewed 16641 times
Last edited by rcdad0622 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:30 am, edited 6 times in total.

durb69
Jeep Jacker

Re: RC Prestige Mini Motors Porsche Build - All metal body

Post by durb69 »

I am excited to see the results!! keep the pics coming
Last edited by durb69 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

Wow that thing is really loud. Is the gearing really low? Or is it just because its inside. My sons is kinda loud to though.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

I haven't even popped the covers off the gearbox yet. Its probably 20+ years of sitting without lubrication. To be honest, if it stays that loud, I might modify the existing set-up to a belt or chain drive.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

Yeah it could just need a cleaning and some new grease. Chain drive would be nice and quiet!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Since my last post, I took the body to the body shop, bought tailight tint to spray over the headlights and hide the blemishes, bought pre-wired 6-12V LEDS from ebay, and a rocker switch to replace the current pushbutton switch for the headlights, as well as 2 10AH 12V scooter batteries. Once the batteries arrive, and the body is back from paint, I'll update with some pictures. Still have to work out the steering. I can't decide between the steering actuator set-up or a servo gearbox. It changes daily, hence the reason I haven't bought parts yet.
Last edited by rcdad0622 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

My suggestion is go with the actuator. That setup is flawless and totally worth every penny.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

durb69 wrote:My suggestion is go with the actuator. That setup is flawless and totally worth every penny.
What did you use for the actuator controller? Do you think I could use the RC speed controller?
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

I used the board that the actuator company supplied with the actuator in a "kit" You can buy the board by itself but if you buy the board and the actuator in this kit you will save money. This was the cheapest way to buy both.

here is a link to the "kit"
http://firgelliauto.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=311
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

make sure you order the case to protect the board. Its well worth the money!

http://firgelliauto.com/advanced_search ... rd&x=0&y=0

and this is a link to the board itself.

http://www.robotshop.com/en/firgelli-te ... =GoogleUSA
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

durb69 wrote:I used the board that the actuator company supplied with the actuator in a "kit" You can buy the board by itself but if you buy the board and the actuator in this kit you will save money. This was the cheapest way to buy both.

here is a link to the "kit"
http://firgelliauto.com/product_info.ph ... cts_id=311

This is what I was looking at http://www.servocity.com/html/25_lbs__t ... uator.html, with the controller http://www.servocity.com/html/digital_m ... rolle.html.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

servo city is to overpriced and that speed controller is not what your looking for. Servo city however does have the right controller for you if you are looking to buy something that is plug-n-play. this is the kit that comes pre-wired with the linear actuator and the servo controller. http://www.servocity.com/html/heavy_dut ... 25__l.html all you do is plug the RC plug into your receiver and supply 12V to the red and black wires and your all set to go. but the $300.00 price tag drove me right away lol. Thats why I went with the firgelli set up. It saves you a good chunk of money and all you have to do is run a few wires on your own. Thats as simple as following a diagram they provide on the website. So its your call. I would say the quality is the same. The controller from firgelli is nicer because you can control it form a few different sources if you like. Computer controlled. manually controlled and RC.
Last edited by durb69 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

durb69 wrote:servo city is to overpriced and that speed controller is not what your looking for. Servo city however does have the right controller for you if you are looking to buy something that is plug-n-play. this is the kit that comes pre-wired with the linear actuator and the servo controller. http://www.servocity.com/html/heavy_dut ... 25__l.html all you do is plug the RC plug into your receiver and supply 12V to the red and black wires and your all set to go. but the $300.00 price tag drove me right away lol. Thats why I went with the firgelli set up. It saves you a good chunk of money and all you have to do is run a few wires on your own. Thats as simple as following a diagram they provide on the website. So its your call. I would say the quality is the same. The controller from firgelli is nicer because you can control it form a few different sources if you like. Computer controlled. manually controlled and RC.

This is why I started this thread! I would have ordered the wrong thing. Thanks! I'll most likely go with the Firgelli since you have tested if for months. I do like the reliability of the actuator set-up, but was worried about steering speed.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

your welcome! If you order the faster RC version of the fergelli actuator the speed is pretty quick actually. Its always worked awesome for me. I can say that it was WELL worth the money. It hurt my wallet a little but the smiles my son makes and giggles he lets out is worth every penny! ha ha.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

durb69 wrote:your welcome! If you order the faster RC version of the fergelli actuator the speed is pretty quick actually. Its always worked awesome for me. I can say that it was WELL worth the money. It hurt my wallet a little but the smiles my son makes and giggles he lets out is worth every penny! ha ha.

That is AWESOME! Does it return to center automatically?
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

sure does! and quickly.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

make sure you contact us for help with the wiring. You have to make sure you cut the center wire going to the receiver so you dont fry the board!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Sounds good. My overall plan is to have this done for his 1st birthday in June, so I do have some time. I'll update with pics soon I hope!
tjenne

Post by tjenne »

FYI, the faster Firgrelli actuator is backordered. I put in my order a couple days ago and they emailed me saying it will not be available until mid January. Sounds like you have time though.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Thanks tjenne! I do have time. Which one exactly did you get? Do you have a build thread. What are you working on?
tjenne

Post by tjenne »

I ordered the Firgelli Faster RC Actuator. I didn't think the 0.5 in/s travel of the slower one was fast enough, but I am pretty impatient.

Here is my build thread. Still in the early stages. Ordered most of the major components, but have not started the build yet. Going to try to get the ESC working this weekend.
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=15267
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

I think this one will work well. I ordered 2 batteries. I was thinking about running my steering separate than my drive. Not sure yet.
rcdad0622

Painted!!!!!!!!!

Post by rcdad0622 »

We have paint!!!! True L225 Porsche Viper Green. Let me know what you think!

photo (46).jpg
208.JPG
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

Yeah Buddy!!! That's kick buttocks !
tjenne

Post by tjenne »

Looks good man.

I must amend my previous statement. A couple days after they told me it was backordered, they shipped it to me. Got it a couple days ago, but I need to go buy the receiver wire to connect it.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Good to know! I got the batteries and should have the body back on Monday. I'll probably place my order soon. I'll keep you guys posted! I'll be excited to see yours installed!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Ordered the firgelli actuator kit and it arrived today! Can't wait to get after it. Thanks again for suggestions so far!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

So my RC build has been kind of stalled due to lack of time. I did receive the firgelli actuator and controller and it has just been sitting in a box waiting for me to install it. I'm hoping today to run to Home Depot to get some mounting hardware and get the steering installed. I couldn't help though throwing up a couple pics of the painted body.
Attachments
photo (47).JPG
photo (49).JPG
photo (50).JPG
photo (51).JPG
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

Wow man, that thing is smexy! Very nice job.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

So posting the pics yesterday gave me some motivation to start working on the steering. $10 bucks worth of Home Depot hardware and we are off. I don't have the space up front like some of you guys on here with actual power wheels, so I had to mount the actuator at an angle. With it parallel to the linkage, i had full range to the right, but not the left. The bracket at the base of the actuator is held on by zip ties, just for mock up purposes. I will have to drill through the frame, and use pan head bolts so the body will slide over the bolts. Also, with the RC setup, the range will be limited so it won't tweak the frame, plus once the body is mounted, the frame is far more rigid. I don't think it is necessary to reinforce the frame at this time. Also, a question to Durb69, and anyone else that has this setup, where did you buy your RC receiver wire (firgelli controller to RC receiver) ? Did you modify an existing one? All the servo extenders I find are male to female obviously, so I was thinking of just cutting the connectors off, and making my own.

[attachment=0]photo (52).JPG[/attachment
Attachments
photo (52).JPG
tjenne

Post by tjenne »

Looking good.

I ended up buying two connectors and splicing them together. I thought found some on amazon, but can't find it now. I did find this one. Looks like it's a standard M-F cable with an adaptor
Last edited by tjenne on Sun Feb 23, 2014 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Here is the latest. There are 8 individually wired LEDS per headlight. It is controlled by a Turnigy on/off switch and wired to the 3rd channel. Since I ran these off the front battery, and the ESC is on the rear batttery, I had to backfeed a ground wire so they had a common ground. Happy with the results though. Let me know what you think!
Last edited by rcdad0622 on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
durb69
Jeep Jacker

Post by durb69 »

Nice! I plan on adding the same feature at some point. Right now I have a manual light switch. I might attach the system to the car horn I installed though. We will see! That's a nice looking car you built Mr!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Thanks durb69! Its still coming along. Hoping to have it FINISHED by the end of next month.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

We are getting close!! I couldn't help putting my son in and trying it out. I still need to put a floor in it, for when he gets taller. For now, the seatbelt I installed keeps his feet for from the ground. I have been taking build pictures along the way, so once I get time, I'll post those as well. Thanks for everyones input and help on this project! He was kind of taking it all in on this run, but since then he smiles and seems to really enjoy it.
Haunted Spider
Switch Cleaner

Post by Haunted Spider »

There is a red one on ebay right now for 125 plus 100 for shipping. So tempted to buy one and attempt to accomplish what you have done with yours.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Haunted Spider wrote:There is a red one on ebay right now for 125 plus 100 for shipping. So tempted to buy one and attempt to accomplish what you have done with yours.

There is actually 2 on there last time I looked. They only came in red. Both seem to be in decent shape. If you do, let me know! I would love to see these cool cars get revived.
Haunted Spider
Switch Cleaner

Post by Haunted Spider »

I have 4 days to think about it as the auction lasts that long. The one had the windshield intact. How hard was it to get the motors on your set turning again? I am concerned about them being rusted out and no good. I just finished up the power wheels jeep build though and my wife would likely kill me if I did something like this, but it might just be worth it.

Also, how much did your paint cost at the body shop? I would do something similar as the paint on these definitely needs replaced. Just trying to sort costs in my head here.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

The motors were already turning for me. I did take them apart though, ran them in distilled water, and cleaned them with RC motor cleaner. As far as paint goes, the body shop owner thought it was such a cool idea, that in the end he didn't charge me! He initially said it would be $100 which was the cost of materials but then didn't charge me a thing. I would say that it would be a few hundred dollars though. So far, I have about $1k into this if that helps. The 2 biggest expenses were the car ($240) and the firgelli kit.
Haunted Spider
Switch Cleaner

Post by Haunted Spider »

Good to know.

I was figuring on a grand or so into the whole thing. That is about what went into my power wheels jeep. As for the motors, are they 12 volt? I would have thought they were six and a new 12 volt battery wouldn't work in the car but it seems you are running 12 volts systems. So.....

Well, I still have 2 days to sort it out. I think the wife is half on board, as long as I can take the RC stuff off when my kid is a bit older and let him drive it on his own. I could manage that I am pretty sure.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

It seems to be running 12v without a problem. I have attached the pic of the gearbox open. You can see where the two motors come in with their respective pinion gears. It would be an easy change if you wanted to replace or upgrade them. I couldnt bring myself to replace them though because they are working fine. One unique thing about the Porsche on Ebay, is it looks like someone added an extra gearbox so it is 2WD. Mine is only 1WD. I would love to get my hands on a second gearbox, but don't want to buy a whole other Porsche to get it.
Attachments
Porsche gearbox.jpg
Haunted Spider
Switch Cleaner

Post by Haunted Spider »

Please explain how to to clean the motors and what product you used to clean them. I am about to bid on this thing but I want to have the proper way to maintain the motors when I get them. If I have to replace them then so be it but I would rather not.
Haunted Spider
Switch Cleaner

Post by Haunted Spider »

Well I bought it. Should be here in a week or so. I am going to ask you many questions more than likely after I get it. :)

This should be a fun experience, although I don't know how long it will take to finish it depending on funds.

What are you doing for replacing the missing mirrors? I will have to as well.
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. That's awesome though! There are a lot of YouTube vids on the motor cleaning. Basically you dunk it in distilled water, run the motor with a AA battery, and then clean it with rc motor cleaner it electrical contact cleaner. Keep me posted!
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Btw.. Start a build tread when you get it and I'll help along the way where I can
rcdad0622

Post by rcdad0622 »

Just a quick update on the build. I had a small hiccup with my LAC board going bad, but Firgelli was extremely helpful in troubleshooting the issue, and has sent me a new board. They even have expedited the shipping (free of charge) as the person I spoke to (Ian Grieg) knew that I needed to get this project finished this month for my sons birthday. I am completely blown away by their level of customer service.