CJB's Gaucho Grande

Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

CJB's Gaucho Grande

Post by CJB »

This is sort of a continuation of THIS thread.

Tore it apart last night.
006.JPG
007.JPG
Wouldn't it be neat to replace the rear shocks with two 8 inch throw linear actuators? Jack up the rear end with the push of a button?
009.JPG

Popped an amp meter in the dash...
017.JPG
Got it ready for the 4W MR-16 headlights
005.JPG
And made some custom tail/brake lights
043.JPG
More detail on that later.

I'll go 24v with an LBD-14 for this. Chloe says she wants it to stay yellow. Easy enough. :)

CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Re: CJB's Gaucho Grande

Post by CJB »

Tail lights:

Once upon a time, I found some cool rectangle red lens housings outlined in chrome. $1.99 at the surplus store. I picked them up for a 'just in case' kind of thing. Turns out, it's like they were MADE for the Gaucho. There's a recess in the back of the housing that matches perfectly to the bumper. Couldn't have designed them better myself.

During the Escalade project, I picked up some LED replacement turn signal bulbs for a car so I was just going to use those with the red lenses. One of them had 3 leds out though. Crap. I've already modified the housing to fit these bulbs. So... gut it and make my own.

Original bulb
010.JPG
I have a bag full of Pirhanna LEDs (right side of pic) and two fit nicely in the aluminum case so I decided to use those.

Wire two in series
030.JPG
Fit test
031.JPG
Heatshrink, heatshrink, heatshrink.
040.JPG
042.JPG
Brightness is about the same. Old on the left, new on the right.
033.JPG
put an 82 ohm resistor on each set. When wiring to the battery, I also used a 470 ohm resistor to make them tail lights. When the brake relay kicks on, it'll bypass that resistor and but them at full brightness.

Tail lights
049.JPG
Brake Lights
050.JPG
I think they look pretty good on there.
jparthum
Col. Fried Wires

Post by jparthum »

Don't you love it when things fall into place? :)

To make sure I understand :oops: - Is 82 Ohm what you came up with calculated from the combined LED Voltage, and 470 Ohm is (roughly) half?
'Protection' and 'Oppression' are synonymous.

CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

jparthum wrote:Don't you love it when things fall into place? :)

To make sure I understand :oops: - Is 82 Ohm what you came up with calculated from the combined LED Voltage, and 470 Ohm is (roughly) half?
Calculate?? :lol: :lol: :lol:
I don't CALCULATE. I use the, "ehhh... close enough" method. 8-)

It was either 470, 510, 1K, or 82 ohm. That's the smallest resistors I have. Everything else is in the 'K' range.

I have a 270 here at work I might try, but I want there to be a noticeable difference when the brake lights go on in daylight.
jparthum
Col. Fried Wires

Post by jparthum »

:lol: Gotcha! ;)

Well it worked out very nicely. :)

ccsurep
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Post by ccsurep »

hey, I was wondering how the 4W MR-16 where doing in the gaucho, I have tried two different sets of mr-16 leds, the first set was nice and bright, but they got so hot they started to melt the headlight lenses :? , The second pair, don't get hot at all but they are not that bright :cry:

these were the first lights ... way too hot, in fact one blew out after about a half hour of testing :x
mr16hot.jpg
mr16hot.jpg (30.47 KiB) Viewed 7799 times
These are nice and cool... pretty much no heat, but they are not as brights as maybe a set of harbor freight modded headlights.
MR16_38_36a.JPG
Also you have any project updates ? Thanks
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

No project updates yet. This weekend I'm going to get going on this one.

The MR-16s are not yet installed in the Gaucho, but have been in service for a while in the Escalade. They are incredibly bright and stay very cool. There should be a link to them in my project page for the Escalade. These are all I will use from now on.

The first picture you posted, I'd expect to get very hot. PLCC-2 LEDs are not known for their thermal efficiency. I use some PLCC-4 LEDs on some parts at work and they get rather warm, but they're operated outdoors with thermally conductive adhesive on a 7" metal heatsink.

The second picture is just a bunch of 5mm LEDs in a big circle. Cool yes, bright no, as you've mentioned.

The ones I'm using are higher power and they did a very good job with the focus of the lenses and thermal management. Yes, they pull about a half-amp, BUT they stay cool and they're as bright (if not brighter) as a 60W bulb. I'd recommend them to anyone looking for functional headlights. I'll get some outdoor night time pictures up once everything is together.
Xtremefour

Post by Xtremefour »

When I did my sons Gaucho I used the LED lights from Harbour Freight. Honestly they are very very bright. Just his HL will light up my whole backyard.

Sorry to whore, project is looking good.
ccsurep
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Post by ccsurep »

wow, thanks for the info, yeah i'm going to be running a separate battery for lights so the drawing of amps I don't see as a problem. I've used the harbor freights as well and yes they are pretty bright, but I was looking for something a little brighter that I could still use with the stock lenses on the Gaucho.
Also CJB how are you planning on securing these lights? Mine are held in by being sandwiched between the lense and the whole I opened up in the grill , which seems to hold the lights just fine but I was wondering if there was something better? Can't wait to see your updates :)
Xtremefour, do you have pics of your light install anywhere?
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

ccsurep wrote:
Also CJB how are you planning on securing these lights? Mine are held in by being sandwiched between the lense and the whole I opened up in the grill , which seems to hold the lights just fine but I was wondering if there was something better?
In the Escalade, I used super glue. :lol:
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

I'm here. I'm alive. Been landscaping my :o off. Back hurts, hands are shot.

Nevertheless, I got cookin on the gaucho again this evening. (thanks, whiskey) Got the brake pedal installed and figured out what needs painting. T-ball tourney tomorrow, so I'm not sure when I'll get around to paint, but she wants the same colors, so this will be basically a Gaucho restoration. (with a few added goodies) Which is OK, since I have that set of re-pro decals and all.

On a side note, the motors in the Brute Force and Escalade are now in need of repair. The Trail Rider gearboxes are clicky, and the ninja is acting strange. So much for taking time off to work around the house and enjoy the summer. :roll: I'm going to have to take some time off of work just to do the necessary repairs to the ones that are supposed to work. That puts me down to 3 functional rides. YIKES. :shock: At lease the batteries are getting a rest on the charger.
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

Gaucho is in paint currently - John Deere Yellow and Fusion red.

It'll look pretty cool I think. I thought about JD yellow and JD green, but that's too close to Packers colors. Here in MN, that's how it'd be taken.

Should look pretty good. I'll get some pics up tonight.
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

I'd put up some pics if I could figure out WTH the wife did with the camera... :|
jparthum
Col. Fried Wires

Post by jparthum »

I can't find mine either - it's been neglected since I got my EVO. :(

Did you check the bedroom? ;)

Be careful uploading! :P

CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

Good suggestion, J. That coulda been bad. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway, this has been done for a while now (and riden and dirtied) but here's the pics of the Gaucho Refresh.
Note the red steering wheel back & horn and red shifter.

Carpeted, lit up, separate brake pedal, headlights, tail lights, brake lights. Currently 12v, but easily upped to 18v.
001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG
004.JPG
006.JPG
008.JPG
009.JPG
013.JPG
016.JPG
AUSSIE DARREN
Sgt. Gear Grinder

Post by AUSSIE DARREN »

Looks great I like what you done with the red horn , steering wheel & shifer really fits in well with the dash 8-)
ccsurep
Pvt. Burnt Motor

Post by ccsurep »

I like it, looks great. I was waiting for you to update... :)
TerryInLeesburg
Cpl. Battery Boiler

Post by TerryInLeesburg »

Nice :D

I really like the carpet. What did you use?
How did you attach it?
The purpose of life is to live a life of purpose

Gaucho Super Power
Craftsman Buck
CJB
Col. Fried Wires

Post by CJB »

TerryInLeesburg wrote:Nice :D

I really like the carpet. What did you use?
How did you attach it?
I used some automotive carpet I got to restore a car I already sold. :lol:
The carpet kit came with some spray adhesive.
AlexL
Cpl. Battery Boiler

Post by AlexL »

I noticed, WHAT THE HECK it is september why is the plow on the polaris?????
slow or stock power wheels SUCK!!
GO FAST OR GO HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am selling my vehicles because of loss of interest. If you are intereseted in a 12v Peg Perego John Deere Gator Revised or 24v Polaris Sportsman 800 Twin both in good shape with two batteries/chargers a piece in STOCK condition PM me!
taz11
Admiral W.O.T.
Location: Bloomsbury, NJ Advanced Modder- 3739 Archived Posts

Post by taz11 »

I like the side pipes.....Is that vinyl diamond plate?
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!..........Out of somebody's garbage

I'm trying to get out of PWs.........That idea's not working out real well......

My time on MPW is limited these days. I'm trying to check in everyday.....please be patient when awaiting responses.

https://www.facebook.com/Team-TAZ-Motor ... 427627096/