McQueen El Relámpago

Use this area as your personal project pages or blog! Each thread belongs to one user as a project page!
toycrusher
Administrator

McQueen El Relámpago

Post by toycrusher »

20131208_221119m.jpg
So this one didn't even last 24 hours stock. :roll:

I snagged it off craigslist, took an hour drive but $50 wasn't too horrible for a car kept inside. I should have taken a picture, the stock battery died so they got an aftermarket SLA, cut off the stock connector and stripped the wires back, and just twisted them around the battery posts! No fuse! :o

I took out and hooked up my best grey brick battery, was reading 13v, and the car was SLOOOOW :( I couldn't believe it, maybe 3mph and at 12v! I ran the model number, yup, it was supposed to be a super-6. I pulled the seat and looked at the motors, yup, they had the super-6 part number on them. I double checked my battery, still 13v. Checked connections at foot switch, shifter, everywhere! Nothing wrong! :x Finally I grabbed another 12v sla battery and voila! Burnouts baby! :lol: Either my brick battery couldn't pass the amps or my brick connector is bad :x

From there, my Jr. Dragster surrendered it's slicks, had to put a spacer between the #7 box and the body to keep the tires from rubbing. Otherwise no big deal using the shorter Mustang wheel drivers. I couldn't leave the exhaust pipes alone. I wired some red and amber LEDs inside, hooked to a strobe driver, and to the shifter to come on whenever the gas is pressed.

I'm also considering a mini-amp and a bigger speaker to really push the steering wheel engine sounds out for all to hear... 8-) :roll:
20131208_184758m.jpg
20131208_184835m.jpg
20131208_184722m.jpg

"I'm not nuts, I prefer to be called an enthusiast! "

"I've stood on the shoulders of geniuses, and taken the next step..." ;-)

Master Project List
(F150 6x6, 36v Superpower, 24v Beach Ranger 4x4, McQueen "El Relampago", 36v Polaris, Mudvette, Lil jeep dragster & mudder, 36v Rzr, Lifted Cowboy's jeep, FJ cruiser, Lil quad 18v, etc...)

Toycrushers Master Wiring Diagrams
landon
Sgt. Gear Grinder

Re: McQueen El Relámpago

Post by landon »

Nice one, TC... those wheels look like they belong there!
jonesee
Sgt. Gear Grinder

Post by jonesee »

love the slicks and the exhaust too!!

The mustang project you are helping me with has a cool engine sound box too and was going to ask if there was a way to amplify the sounds and bam!! you have the same plan but more than likely you know how to do the wiring and what parts are needed. Any chance you could provide details on how to get big sound from the stock sound box? thanks again for all your help, I am about to put your diagram to the test :o :o :o :o and am more than a little nervous!!
Last edited by jonesee on Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
taz11
Admiral W.O.T.
Location: Bloomsbury, NJ Advanced Modder- 3739 Archived Posts

Post by taz11 »

KACHOW! :P :lol: :roll: 8-)
DRIVE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT!..........Out of somebody's garbage

I'm trying to get out of PWs.........That idea's not working out real well......

My time on MPW is limited these days. I'm trying to check in everyday.....please be patient when awaiting responses.

https://www.facebook.com/Team-TAZ-Motor ... 427627096/
toycrusher
Administrator

Post by toycrusher »

jonesee wrote:love the slicks and the exhaust too!!

The mustang project you are helping me with has a cool engine sound box too and was going to ask if there was a way to amplify the sounds and bam!! you have the same plan but more than likely you know how to do the wiring and what parts are needed. Any chance you could provide details on how to get big sound from the stock sound box? thanks again for all your help, I am about to put your diagram to the test :o :o :o :o and am more than a little nervous!!
This part is a piece of cake in comparison. Depending on your budget and what you have lying around, just open the sound box, clip the (usually) black and white wires going in to the plastic speaker. Extend those to the "hi-level" input of your amp, or wire it to a mono mini jack if you are using a head unit (or sacrificed battery powered boom box 8-) ) with an aux input. Connect your amp or head unit to your speaker(s), connect power and ground and you are good to go. :D

Finding places to mount everything is another story :roll: I personally like the idea of sacrificing a boom box (for cost reasons) but there would definitely be quite a bit of work involved in isolating the guts you need and the pieces you don't, not to mention trying to weather proof the thing!
Sound box boost.jpg

Master Project List
(F150 6x6, 36v Superpower, 24v Beach Ranger 4x4, McQueen "El Relampago", 36v Polaris, Mudvette, Lil jeep dragster & mudder, 36v Rzr, Lifted Cowboy's jeep, FJ cruiser, Lil quad 18v, etc...)

toycrusher
Administrator

Post by toycrusher »

Warmed up a bit and we finally hit the street :D It's fast enough for me to chase with a fresh 12v battery and a little extra pressure in the tires :P
20131211_165703m.jpg
20131211_165643m.jpg
20131211_165630m.jpg
20131211_165654(0)m.jpg
When it got darker, I really loved the strobe of the exhaust LED's reflecting on the pavement. If you've ever watched Friday NHRA qualifying when they run the top fuel cars at night, you know what I mean. It's easily become my favorite mod of everything I've done :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

One of these days I'll figure out how to use youtube so I can post a video :roll:

Master Project List

ky77

Post by ky77 »

Hi i was eyeing wheels and slicks like this for my mcqueen and my corvette. Since you have done this already do you think these will work on the corvette? And do you have any links or info on where to buy the wheel tire combo. Sorry if they are common sense questions
toycrusher
Administrator

Post by toycrusher »

Yes you can make it work. The wheel adapter/hub is the tough part. I went all out having custom hubs built with bearings but I don't think it's really any different than using PEX pipe for a bushing and fabbing an adapter out of a PVC pipe cap :lol:

Master Project List

Slowpoke

Post by Slowpoke »

I know this is an old post, but is there a chance you have pics of how you connected the wheels with the adapter?
toycrusher
Administrator

Post by toycrusher »

Slowpoke wrote:I know this is an old post, but is there a chance you have pics of how you connected the wheels with the adapter?
Look for Lil jeep 24v dragster in my signature projects list. That's where I built the hubs. Major pain and not much improvement. Maybe 1/2 mph faster than just running on the plastic wheels.

Master Project List

Slowpoke

Post by Slowpoke »

Thanks Toycrusher....I will check it out.
Suburbancharlie77
Officer Peg Head

Post by Suburbancharlie77 »

Toy crusher.... the new format seems to not link to past projects. Any chance of explaining how to find the tire MOD? Thanks
toycrusher
Administrator

Post by toycrusher »

Huh... your right. My signature with links doesn't appear. You can search for Lil dragster and the build should come up. I'll work on this signature thing

Master Project List